Crook County Cemetery District
Juniper Haven Cemetery History
Juniper Haven Cemetery is comprised of former City, Pioneer, Masonic,
Union Cemetery at Prineville was know as the City Cemetery, in which the
oldest marked burial is R. Striethoff, 1870, age 51. About 100 known
burials had been made prior to 1895, when this land, Section 31, along
with much other land, was sold by David Cahn and Alex Weill of San
Francisco to Chas. Altchul, who resold it to Oregon & Western
Colonization Co. in October 1917.
In 1916, members of the Commercial Club elected Carey Foster, M.D. Powell and T.H. Lafollette trustees to form the Prineville Cemetery Association, which purchased 4.6 acres, which included the City Cemetery, from the Oregon & Western Colonization Co. for $48.80. This was then known as the Pioneer Cemetery. How this could be sold by Oregon & Western more than a year before having a deed to it is not known. Additional adjoining land was donated, two acres by the City of Prineville, one acre by Crook County and 1 1/2 acres bought from A. R. Bowman in 1946.
In 1895, Prineville Lodge #76 A.F. and A.M. bought 6 acres from Chas. Altschul and in 1916 bought an additional 6 acres from Oregon & Western Colonization Co. This was known as the Masonic Cemetery.
In May, 1896, Ochoco Lodge, Ancient United Order bought 5 acres from Oregon & Western Colonization Co. This was called the Union Cemetery. In October 1896, this was sold to Ochoco Lodge #46 IOOF and in 1916, the Odd fellows Lodge bought an additional 6 acres from Oregon & Western Colonization Co. This and the Union Cemetery was then know as the Odd fellows Cemetery. A deep well was drilled by IOOF Cemetery about 1950. A well was also drilled jointly by Pioneer and Masonic Cemeteries. A pump and pipe line were installed. The light weight pipe could not withstand pressure and soon filled with sand pumped from the well. Some shrubs and grass were planted by individuals.